Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Waiting for the Sol...


Hello there...

Well, it feels like the dog days of summer...  but it's only mid June! It is being called the "Spring Sizzler" on the news. Hot hot days... and I have to admit - it's niiiiiiiiiiice.   Alex and I are here in OG in a little bit of stand-by mode.   I hit the 37 weeks pregnant mark today and that means that I am technically considered "full term"...   which means that the baby could come at any time.   So, we are here and we are waiting. 

Alex has been taking care of his back and I have been taking care of my belly.    We plan on staying here in CT until about 6 weeks after the baby is born before heading up to Maine.  We CANNOT wait to get up there and start working on the house and the outbuildings!  It's a daunting task, but a fun and challenging one too! 

We have heard reports from our friend Joan in Maine that the lupin are out in full force up on our property in Maine... here is a shot from last year!   We will be posting info about the baby's BIRTH day when it happens...  which as I said - could be any time.    And if you are wondering,  yes - I am excited and nervous and somewhat calm all at the same time...   o dios mio...

And finally, I just want to mention the situation in Futaleufú and Chaiten. Apparently, things have improved in Futa but Chaiten was flooded due to a combination of volcanic debris and heavy rains and has been completely evacuated and shut down for three months.  The residents of Futaleufú are slowly but surely returning to town.  Reports from friends there say that the river is running clear and the ash has soaked into much of the land thanks to rainfall. 

The relief funds that have been set up to help have been very successful and will be extremely useful once plans are in motion to help where help is needed - it is still a bit early to tell. If you are interested in learning more or contributing, you can go to www.futafriends.org for more information on the current efforts and needs.   It's a sad situation, but it's also a natural occurrence and the people of Futaleufú appreciate that... they are resilient and hearty and, in time, it will be as it was once again.     Thank goodness that it is not the dam or the gold mine!

Take care and we will keep you posted!  

Lots of love, 

Liz


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

BRING ON THE SOL SHINE!!! We are thinking of you in Stockholm, where the Sol is shining 20 hours a day right now. We'll be watching the blog for the update. Lots of Love- The McIntoshs