Saturday, November 6, 2010

What is UP?



Our house!!

That is right. After a very long process of learning and thinking, making mistakes and learning and thinking some more, it's going up. Yesterday, a long fat truck rolled down our street and stopped in front of our place loaded with huge bundles marked "Obregon". These bundles once opened and assembled will be our home here in Maine. As you probably know, we have been living off and on - and for the most part happily - in our string of small buildings on the river. The White Cottage is our bedroom/library and the Boat Barn is the kitchen, dining and living area. The Chalet is our guest room and the bathroom you ask? Well, it's still a work in progress... we rent a bright blue porta-potty. So, yea... a wee bit rustic. But it's getting there!

Every year, we make major progress on the cottages. This year we were able to enjoy our place here more because of simple but revolutionary improvements like water in and out of the Boat Barn, a new extension cord, a new tool shed for Alex, a lattice around the outdoor shower, a bumped up retaining wall, a new deck, a bunch of landscaping, etc, etc. The list goes on and on, but the most notable improvement on the property is the house going UP!

So, back to my story...

A long fat truck arrived to our place yesterday loaded with huge bundles marked "Obregon". They started to unload it and then, they started to erect the frame of our post and beam! How crazy is that?! They usually estimate 2 weeks for the house to be erected, but the guys helping us are guessing about 5 days. Should be interesting!

And yes, it is November 10th today. Most people think we are NUTS for building in Maine at such a late date (most people think we are nuts anyway!) but it's supposed to be sunny and dry all week and once it's up - it will be a lockable, sealable structure! Ready for all the interior work! We have a reputable local company taking care of the heating and plumbing and our neighbor is doing the electric. Another neighbor is going to do the painting. Another neighbor did the foundation. Another neighbor is the excavator. So, we are keeping it very much in the hood and very happy about that!

Other than that BIG news, all is good in our collective and individual worlds. Sol is a non-stop talker of big words such as "duckling" and "Connecticut" and "beautiful". He enjoys dancing, singing, kicking balls,
throwing balls, balloon volleyball, candyland the board game, wildlife viewing from the Boat Barn, sitting in bulldozers and large trucks, cooking, boy/girl tea parties, cars, cows, ducks, seals, moose, pigs, jumping high and low, climbing tress and other structures, talk talk talking to any and every one and generally having a really good time.

Alex is happy to be supervising and involved in the construction of our home here. He has been busy with every single of making this house thing happen for us... and that has
taken a good deal of his time and
energy. Thankfully, he enjoys it! I know it is draining at times, but he says he likes the learning process and the fact that we have this amazing opportunity to craft our own home. It's going to be pretty dreamy. Small and compact and with everything we could possibly need or want. Can't ask for more than that!

As for me, I am well too! Deeply excited about the idea of our own home. Although I see it happening, it still seems like a dream. I can taste the feeling that I may have once we are all moved in, but I can't feel it because I sense it may be overwhelming and make me cry. Who knows? Hmm, what else? I am looking forward to heading down to Chile. I won't be doing logistics for Bio Bio anymore as it doesn't make sense for me or them anymore - my job can be much more easily done from the BBX office in Truckee. I will miss it, but it's best. Hopefully, I will be able to teach some yoga this season and I will be busy at our yurt doing landscaping, tiling, furnishing and such. Other than that and as you well know, our lives revolve around the sun. Luckily, Sol is really a fun little person to be around. He is starting the notorious two year old antics and that can be a bit tiresome, but mostly funny. Hey - he's two.

Thanks for checking in and sorry about the delay in posts... I'll try and get bloggin' this coming year and keep you all posted!

The sunset photo was taken today around 4:30pm... and Sol with the lobster was taken about 15 minutes ago... what's for dinner?

Loads o love from Maine,

Liz



No comments: